I personally feel, after every WordPress install there is a checklist which should be ticked regardless of what kinda blog you are creating.
Here is the list which can help you
- Change URL structure to something which makes sense to the readers. You can include postname, category etc
- Upload a decent theme to your blog & make it look good.
- Change the default category “Uncategorized” to something else like General, Others, Miscellaneous, News etc.. Else it might look ugly for the users..
- Active the default plugin “Akismet” which can help you blocking comment spam.
- Install essential plugins. Click on the link for the list Essential Plugins Every WordPress Blogger Should Install
- Remove the admin account which is automatically added by default and assigned ID#1.
- Disable Remote Publishing
- Hide your folders (directories). You can create a blank index.html & upload it in every folder so that when a user tries to access the directory it will show a blank page.. or else you can use htaccess if you are really confident editing it..
- Based on your personal preferences, setup the Discussion settings
- Update your Ping service list. At-least, make sure that, Pingomatic is in your Update Services box.
- Set up Google Analytics
These are my list which i anyways take care after any WordPress install.. Also, let me know your checklist which you tick after every WordPress install..